Saturday 29 October 2016

Babyzen yo-yo. My two cents.

Pre-birth I wrote a post about making the most of small spaces. As I mentioned before I have a Fiat 500 that I love dearly and couldn't bare the thought of getting rid of it to fit the mountains of gear tiny creatures called babies need. It seemed as though unless I was willing to remove wheels whenever the pushchair needed to go in the boot, and then taking my toolbox to put them back on again when the pushchair was needed, this kid wouldn't be having a push chair.

Then I discovered the Babyzen Yo-Yo and I couldn't believe my luck. Easy to fold and unfold, easy to steer with one hand, and most importantly, an incredibly compact size when folded. So small it can be taken aboard a plane as hand luggage.
So far we e only used the chair on the 0-6m nest setting. I seriously, seriously LOVE this pushchair! As with all things it isn't perfect, but it definitely fits into our lives easily.



What I love about the Babyzen Yo-Yo.

It's size: it's tiny! I'm always getting comment about how great it looks compared to so many bulky and heavy pushchairs out there. Sometimes it feels as though I'm pushing a toy pushchair. Never do I have to cross the street when cars are parked half way on the pavement, or when the pavement narrows to barely over a foot. It takes up such little space in my car boot that I have been able to go and several trips to visit family, even taking Alfred's bed (and everything else he owns) in my tiny car. In fact, we even store it in the boot and hardly ever bring it in the house.

It's weight: it's fantastically light weight. I can lift it with one hand while carrying Alfred in the other.

It's easy: a push of a button and a flick of the wrist. Ta-da! Pushchair complete! It never fails to amaze, friends, passers by, and even me. When I looked into buying this pushchair, a criteria was that I'd be able to attach the car seat to the body. However, once I'd learnt how easy the pushchair is to use, getting the attachment and taking the nest off seemed like a complete waste of money and time. Not to mention the fact that car seats are not good for baby's posture at all! In his Yo-Yo nest, Alfred can kick his feet about, likely his arms turn his head comfortably on his back.



The very minimal downsides to the Babyzen Yo-Yo.

A smooth ride: on lovely fresh tarmac. Other times it's plastic wheels and little suspension makes for a bumpy ride, particularly on cobbled streets. Luckily though Alfred loves the bumpiness as it helps him to sleep. We cannot use the Babyzen for any kind of off-roading, but our intention was always to use a sling wrap for those occasions, which is exactly what we do. I made a wrap and we also bought a Tula.

The next stage: the nest is fantastic! I love that I can talk to Alfred about what we am see (and absolute nonsense), but soon we will have to swap the nest for the seat and Alfred will no longer be facing me. This is often the case with most pushchairs, sadly the Yo-Yo is one of them. I'm sure he'll love the new view as he is very observant (nosey) but I will miss our cooing sessions.

Sunshine: There is little shade from sunlight in the Yo-Yo but this has been addressed with the Babyzen Yo-Yo+. However we've got around this by buying a universal parasol for £10.

I would definitely recommend the Babyzen Yo-Yo for anyone who is struggling with space, but would also recommend some sort of baby wearing device. A perfect combination.

Alfred just one week old in my home sewn sling wrap.


No comments:

Post a Comment